Every twin pregnancy has its own unique challenges and yours is no different.
As I thought about the birth of our twins and the twin births of a few friends, I found more differences than similarities. This pattern likely indicates that your twins’ birth will be different than everyone else’s, too.
Of the five different twin pregnancies I reviewed, each ended distinctly:
- Near full term pregnancy with both twins delivered vaginally. The babies went home when mom did.
- Delivery at 33 weeks with an emergency c-section. The premature babies landed in the NICU for about a month.
- One ended at 36 weeks with a scheduled c-section. The twins went home with mom and dad.
- Boys delivered at 38 weeks via emergency c-section. One ended up in the NICU for a week while one went home with Mom and Dad.
- Twins were delivered by emergency c-section at 32 weeks. The boys spent about six weeks in NICUs in two separate hospitals. One twin underwent abdominal surgery.
And these are just examples of twin families we knew personally.
I’ve chatted with dozens of twin dads on my Dad’s Guide to Twins Podcast and there is inevitably always at least a small wrinkle that makes their twin pregnancy and delivery experience distinct from the next guy.
The moral of the story is that you should be ready for whatever comes.
(RELATED: Your twins will need a lot of gear. Here's the complete twins baby registry checklist to get ready for your twins' arrival.
For example, even though you are planning on natural birth, prepare for a twin c-section.
Even though you are expecting healthy, self-sufficient babies, be ready for twins in the NICU.
The key to surviving any twin pregnancy and delivery is to be flexible.
Your babies will arrive on their timeline and that may not meet your expectations.
If your twins have already arrived, how were they born? Early? Any NICU time? As planned or with some surprises?
Picture by Nate Davis
(RELATED: Still expecting twins? Will you be having two boys, two girls, or boy/girl twins? Answer these quick questions to see what several old wives’ tales claim you’ll be having….)